[kictanet] [isoc_ke] #KeIGF Online Discussions Day 6: Openess

cdohnio cdohnio at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 12:43:01 EAT 2015

To wiegh in on a couple of the questions asked:
Should Internet service provider (ISP)  be allowed to speed up, slow down
or block lawful Web traffic from getting to where you, the customer, want
it to go?
No, though we have to allow for ISPs to optimize their networks. How we
would measure violations is a trickier question. As already mentioned, most
of the public isn't aware about these issues and those aware mostly don't
care. We have to find a way to make these issues real to them and the
regulator.

Should ISPs like Orange or Safaricom demand payment from content providers
like Facebook or Google because these content providers reap huge profit
from the infrastructure provided by ISPs?
To answer the question, no.
It's disingenuous to add this phrase "*because these content providers reap
huge profit*
*from the infrastructure provided by ISPs*" to the  question. It doesn't
matter how much profit they're ripping.
Nothing, I repeat again, nothing is preventing, or has ever prevented,
ISP's from building their own social networks, search engines and video
hosting websites. Their failure to imagine uses of their infrastructure
beyond the initial use case is their own fault and they can't turn around
and beginning charging those who have.
Finally I already pay ISPs for the data I use. They'll effectively be
charging twice on the same data if they're allowed to charge.

All the best,
princelySid

*Twitter:* @princelySid | *Website: *cdohnio.blogspot.com