[kictanet] [isoc_ke] #KeIGF Online Discussions Day 6: Openess

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Jul 27 12:27:57 EAT 2015

Joly

Thanks for the link. Definitely worth a look.

Grace

for every ‘free’ moment of Internet consumed using WhatsApp, Facebook or Gmail is a moment NOT spent consuming local content. One might argue that since FB and WhatsApp are User Generated Content then we are consuming local content. We will be missing the point. This is serious money in terms of advertising that we are freely giving away. Even with Google Ad Products where we are now able to monetise as local publishers the process isn’t really that transparent and while we are giving away ‘eyeballs’ we are building other platforms instead of our own.

This is the very essence of Net Neutrality INHO. We need to get ourselves organised to understand the impact of continuing to ignore this. As Obama said in his speech:-

'We have not inherited this nation from our forebearers but borrowed it from our children.’

Every decision we make MUST take that into consideration.

Thanks & Regards

Ali Hussein
ali at hussein.me.ke

+254 770 906375
Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: Abu-Jomo
LinkedIn: http//ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim
Blog: www.alyhussein.com