[kictanet] [Skunkworks] [Security Forum] #KeIGF15 Online Discussions Day Two: Cyber Security and Trust

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jul 21 14:20:57 EAT 2015

> @mwendwa,
>
> Its possible for the owner of the network of the thin sim to be privy to
information that only the host network sim should be having. It all comes
back to someone internal at Equitel having the proper technical skills and
motivation to use the same

Stephen,
Then we have a major problem right there. I would not like Safaricom to
disown any responsibility on their part when my security is compromised
because I used thin sim. Therefore any security conscious users would not
dare jeopardize their transactions by using thin sim. The question then is,
how many of us care about their transaction security?

skunkworks at lists.my.co.ke> wrote:

>>> Then the trending issue of the day. Equitel. Safaricom had taken Equity
to court and sounded a big warning on the use of thin sim.
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Safaricom-sounds-warning-to-users-of-Equity-s-thin-SIM/-/539550/2462110/-/cqwoby/-/index.html

>>> London-based GSMA, the global association of telecoms operators using
the GSM technology, wrote to the Kenyan authorities warning of the risks
that use of the slim SIM cards pose to the integrity of the mobile
telecommunications platforms.The GSMA said the overlay SIM (which is
embedded between a normal SIM card and the device) has the potential of
harvesting and revealing sensitive data passing the system.

>>> Of course we all know Safaricom failed miserably in stopping Equity
from progressing with its plans.

>>> Now the thin sim is here, and Equitel has said it will encrypt all data
to and from the thin sim. Can experts in this area assure us that the use
of thin sims will not affect the integrity of M-Pesa transactions?