[kictanet] Kenya's Silicon Savannah & the Need to do more

Paul Korir polariseke at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 03:21:59 EAT 2015

Listers,

I recall reading the Science Technology and Innovation Act of 2013 (STIA 2013) and being sorely disappointed at some of the articles in that piece of law. I’m not convinced that that is the kind of law that will advance Kenya. If anything, it has taken us back (pre-1976 when the previous legislation was signed into law). For example, article 12 criminalises scientific research except with with a license, which is clearly in contravention of article 33 (c) of the constitution (academic and scientific freedom). The penalty of this contravention is a fine of up to five million or a sentence of four years.

Unless I’m missing something could someone please explain how this is progress?

The previous law was in harmony with international laws (to the best of my understanding) in support of scientific research but these were thrown out because NACOSTI (previously NSTI, if I recall) had been operating ‘illegally’ (i.e. demanding licenses without any legal basis). Now STIA 2013 makes it legal and given NACOSTI the teeth it needs to enforce its agenda.

In fact, private companies are required to pay the highest research license fees. These are things which only happen in developing countries and stifle creative innovation for short-term gain.

Paul Korir, PhD
+353 86 224 1966
+254 72 400 4767