[kictanet] CIA invests in the AWS cloud despite security concerns

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:29:19 EAT 2015

@adam Yes, very smart arrangement, getting the most advanced cloud
providers in the USA (and in this case in the world) to service the CIA in
house.

@kaboro Larry Ellison was in his mid twenties when the CIA contracted him
(a college drop out) and his associates to build what eventually became
Oracle RDBMS. Their team/company was a startup then. Oracle was the name of
the project, not the company.

Competence does not ignore aptitude in favor of of backward laws,
regulations and fraud.
Keep in mind that the CIA initiative vis-a-vis Amazon is a private cloud.
The physical servers using AWS software are on CIA property.

This is part of my talk where I say that 'everybody' needs to move to
Infrastructure as a Service.  The paradigm works even in hyper-sensitive
environments like the CIA and the NSA (and banks).  The NSA uses OpenStack
in case anybody's interested - again, the hardware is physically under NSA
control.

-Adam

--
Kili - Cloud for Africa: kili.io
Musings: twitter.com/varud <https://twitter.com/varud>

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 6:30 AM, Phares Kariuki via kictanet <

> It took amazon 8 years of AWS to get into government. We've been around
> for 1. Part of the problem is comfort. Government isn't comfortable with
> younger companies. Governments horizon is longer term than most businesses.
>
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM, S.M. Muraya <murigi.muraya at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Waiting to see local initiative, skill, talent featured on www.ict.go.ke
>> :)
>> On Feb 16, 2015 10:40 PM, "Phares Kariuki" <pkariuki at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We are getting there. Currently, we do provide some county governments
>>> with services. Huduma centres were largely local save for the hardware. It
>>> takes time. We can change perceptions one day at a time
>>>
>>> --
>>> Phares
>>>
>>> On Feb 16, 2015, at 5:30 PM, S.M. Muraya via kictanet <
>>> kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
>>>
>>> Outside South Africa and below North Africa, imagine if, at a Global
>>> Summit, African Presidents were asked to name homegrown IT firms their
>>> governments rely on for data storage &  security services.
>>>

>>> http://searchaws.techtarget.com/opinion/CIA-invests-in-the-AWS-cloud-despite-security-concerns

> Warm Regards,
>
> Phares Kariuki
>
> *E*: pkariuki at gmail.com | *Twitter*: kaboro | *B*: http://www.angani.co |
> Angani Limited

Unsubscribe or change your options at
https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/murigi.muraya%40gmail.com

The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for
people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors
online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.