[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Announcing new Internet Society-Freedom House partnership

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 06:43:04 EAT 2015

Listers,

This might be usefull.

Regards
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Nicolas Seidler" <seidler at isoc.org>
Date: Dec 10, 2015 6:13 PM
Subject: [Internet Policy] Announcing new Internet Society-Freedom House
partnership
To: "internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org" <internetpolicy at elists.isoc.org>

Hi everyone,

Today on international Human Rights Day
<http://www.un.org/en/events/humanrightsday/>, the Internet Society and Freedom
House <https://freedomhouse.org/> announced a new partnership to strengthen
their collaboration for an Internet that enables opportunities and that is
based on the respect of fundamental rights.

ISOC’s CEO Kathy Brown has just released the following blog to announce
this new collaboration
<https://www.internetsociety.org/blog/public-policy/2015/12/internet-society-and-freedom-house-announce-partnership-online-freedoms>
and
to explain our motivations.

The Internet Society’s core vision is an "Internet for Everyone"; we have
always invested, and will continue to invest, our efforts in connecting the
unconnected. But access is only the first step towards an Internet of
Opportunities, where people can trust their online experience and where
their fundamental rights are respected and promoted online.

Over the past few years, the issue of Human Rights online has become one of
the top priorities in the Internet governance landscape, both at the global
and local levels. Next week, Human Rights will be one of the central themes
of the UN General Assembly event that will take stock of the 10 years of
the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS). You can learn more on
WSIS here <http://www.internetsociety.org/wsis>.

This partnership will allow us to complement our technical expertise and
global network of members and Chapters with unmatched data and analysis
capacity generated over the past few years by Freedom House, in particular
as part of their Freedom on the Net report series
<https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-net/freedom-net-2015>.

Stay tuned for more details on this partnership in 2016!

Nicolas Seidler
Policy Advisor
Internet Society
seidler at isoc.org

ps: if you're on social media, please don't hesitate to share the
announcement around through the following links:
Share on Twitter (Internet Society)
<https://twitter.com/internetsociety/status/674955131314503680>
Share on Twitter (ISOC Policy
<https://twitter.com/ISOCPolicy/status/674955131977228288>)