[kictanet] Introducing Facebook Africa Public Policy Team to KICTANet

Ebele Okobi ebeleokobi at fb.com
Thu Dec 3 20:20:53 EAT 2015

Answers below-

Ebele Okobi | Head of Public Policy, Africa
m. +44 (0) 771 156 1315
2 Stephen St | London | W1T 1AN
ebeleokobi at fb.com

From: <wainaina at madeinkenya.org<mailto:wainaina at madeinkenya.org>> on behalf of DigitalTVAfrica <wainaina at DigitalTVAfrica.com<mailto:wainaina at DigitalTVAfrica.com>>
Date: Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 4:54 PM
To: KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke<mailto:kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>>
Cc: Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com<mailto:otieno.barrack at gmail.com>>, Ebele Okobi <ebeleokobi at fb.com<mailto:ebeleokobi at fb.com>>
Subject: Re: [kictanet] Introducing Facebook Africa Public Policy Team to KICTANet

Hi Ebele,

Those were great responses to questions on net-neutrality vs. zero rating.....and the commitment of Facebook to support delivery of affordable 'full internet'.

My interest is in your engagement work on Spectrum Policy in connection to the efforts of the ConnectivityLab. Facebook has partnered with others in Ghana to pilot TV Whitespace as a connectivity solution for affordable rural broadband. Facebook's partner in Ghana includes Microsoft, which has supported the development of Mawingu Networks - a TVWS connectivity startup in Kenya. There is however no mention of TVWhitespace technology on Internet.org. With the above in mind;

1)  What is the experience of Facebook in using TV Whitespace technology as an option to connect underserved areas? ...as opposed to the other connectivity approaches by ConnectivityLab.

 I think the overall point is that FB is agnostic as to the medium-we think that there are many different potential connectivity solutions, and we are working on pilots of many different technologies with different partners. I don’t think we have enough pilots to be able to give an opinion, but we look forward to learning more in 2016.

2) With more African countries set to free-up analogue TV spectrum in the coming months as they migrate to Digital TV, are there plans by Facebook to promote the use of TVWhitespace spectrum as an affordable option to avail the 'full internet'?

Per above-we are agnostic-we wouldn’t necessarily promote one solution over another, as we believe it’s quite context-specific. AT the moment, we are a bit more focused on Aquila, express wi-fi, satellite back haul and a couple of other rural connectivity pilots, but we also note the excellent work that Microsoft is doing with TV Whitespace

3) Will the FreeBasics model be applied to the WiFi projects that use TV Whitespace spectrum to connect the underserved?

What projects are you referring to? Our Express WiFi projects are not using TV White space.

4) What policy barriers has Facebook faced (or barriers it foresees) in running TVWS connectivity projects in Ghana or launching a similar initiative in Kenya?

Per above, we are currently focused a bit more on the pilots outlined above at present.

Regards,
Wainaina