[kictanet] Equitel - M-Pesa battle heats up as Safaricom hikes termination fees

James Mbugua jgmbugua at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:03:05 EAT 2015

Question

What has been the prevailing rate of sending money from Airtel or Orange
Money to MPESA?

What of the reverse, sending money from MPESA to a bank account or to other
carriers?

This I think is what should inform the regulator's decision because unless
there is significant cost differential of terminating Equitel on MPESA
compared to Airtel Money or Orange, then price discrimination shouldn't
occur.

But having gone through the year 2008, we know how this one will play out.
CAK will commission of a long term cost blah blah study, and then impose a
common termination fee like they did with voice.

Regards,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Ben Akoh via kictanet <