[kictanet] Role and integrity of Surveillance system in Kenya

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu Aug 6 19:59:30 EAT 2015

Thank you Walubengo, it's scary isn't it?

The authorities while passing the security bill overnight with a crucial
surveillance component assured us that it was for the good of the country.

The point we are trying to make is, how strong are the systems in place to
ensure the data collected about individuals is safe, and is not subject to
manipulation,  or use by dubious people for dubious means? If the law
enforcement agents can go to bed with criminals, what recourse do mare
mortals have?

Suppose we take an hypothetical situation where candidate A wants to vie
for Governorship, but his (all governors in Kenya are male) opponent
candidate Z is connected at NIS and can obtain illegally all the filth
against candidate A. Does candidate A have any chance?

Suppose another hypothetical situation,  citizen A is a criminal
wealerdealer who can cause information about him to be deleted or changed
at source,  including even adding alibis and imaginary calls and text to
the database stored by telcos. What recourse do we have as mare mortals?