[kictanet] African Union Commission Communiqué on the declaration of the Independent Review Panel (IRP) in the matter between Dot Connect Africa (DCA) and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)

Alice Munyua alice at dotafrica.org
Sat Aug 1 13:31:51 EAT 2015

*African Union Commission Communiqué on the declaration of the
Independent Review Panel (IRP) in the matter between Dot Connect Africa
(DCA) and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)*

The African Union Commission (AUC) is deeply concerned by the final
declaration of the Independent Review Panel (IRP) in the matter between
Dot Connect Africa (DCA) and the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names
and Numbers (ICANN).

The declaration raises serious questions on the role of governments in
the ICANN multi stakeholder model and the broader Internet governance
ecosystem as well as the effectiveness and reliability of government
protection mechanisms as outlined in the new gTLD Applicants Guidebook

We reiterate and re-emphasize that African governments mandated the
African Union Commission (AUC), through the Abuja Declaration to “set up
the structure and modalities for the implementation of the dot Africa
Top Level Domain”.  The AUC adopted an open and transparent process at
the regional level through the Request for Proposals (RFP) and at the
end of this process exclusively endorsed the application submitted by
the ZA Central Registry (ZACR) for the. Africa Top Level Domain, dot
Africa (.AFRICA)

Recalling that African governments raised concerns in the Dakar
communiqué, regarding the protection of geographic names in the new gTLD
program and ICANN assured African governments that there were adequate
protections for geographic names, such as. AFRICA contained in the new
gTLD Applicants Guidebook.

We note that in response to these assurances the AUC elected not to
pursue previous requests to have the. AFRICA TLD string added to the
reserve name list and through our endorsement of the ZACR application
for the. AFRICA TLD, the AUC became an active participant in the new
gTLD process. We participated in the formulation and adoption of the
geographic name protection mechanisms as contained in the Applicant
Guidebook. This set of rules, applicable to all new gTLD applicants and
affected parties, was the result of a multi-stakeholder engagement
process that was eventually adopted by ICANN.

We reiterate that the processes leading up to the establishment of the
final Applicant Guidebook, and all material times thereafter, including
during the application and evaluation periods, was open, transparent and
provided several avenues for applicants to engage with individual
African governments, the GAC and the ICANN board regarding any concerns
raised. All new gTLD applicants would have and should have, been acutely
aware of these considerations prior to submitting their applications.

We recall that African governments, individually and collectively
through the mechanisms of the GAC, engaged with all reasonable means at
their disposal, as outlined in the Applicants Guidebook, to:

·Submit public comments;

·Raise early warnings (which provided an opportunity for other
applicants to engage in an open and transparent manner with the various
governments regarding concerns expressed); and

·Issue GAC objections and GAC advice to the board.

We emphasize that GAC consensus advice contained in the 2013 Beijing
communiqué was the culmination of a lengthy process of public engagement
in order to provide fairness and transparency regarding governments
concerns and objections relating to geographic name protections and to
provide rationale to the board and ICANN community, including
applicants, on future government related responses to new gTLD applications.

The Africa region, African Internet stakeholders, the ZACR and AUC are
the unfortunate victims of a dysfunctional accountability process and an
independent review panel that did not delve more deeply to understand
the new gTLD process, the role of governments in that process and how
the ICANN multi stakeholder model functions in general.

We note that while the IRP does not refute that governments, through the
issuance of consensus GAC Advice, formally objected to the DCA
application, the final declaration raises concerns about the role of
government engagement in the ICANN multi stakeholder model and more
broadly in the internet governance ecosystem.

The AUC endorsed ZACR dot Africa (.Africa) application has been, and
continues to be, a collaborative African led initiative involving
African governments, ICT stakeholders and the broader African community.

*Directorate of Information and Communication***

Directorate of Information and Communication***|***Information and
Communication***| *African Union Commission

Tel: +251-11-5517700* |*Fax:* |* E-mail:**DIC at africa-union.org
<mailto:DIC at africa-union.org>* | *Web:www.au.int

Addis Ababa* | *Ethiopia