[kictanet] Fwd: [Internet Policy] Internet Governance in May - Some background information

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:47:47 EAT 2015

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Constance Bommelaer <bommelaer at isoc.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 15:07:13 +0000
Subject: [Internet Policy] Internet Governance in May - Some
background information
To: Internet Policy External <InternetPolicy at elists.isoc.org>

Dear all,

May has traditionally been a busy month for Internet governance
discussions in Geneva. This year is no different, but the stakes are
higher for those who care about the Internet and its future.

2015 is the year where we celebrate the 10 years of the World Summit
on the Information Society (WSIS). For the past 10 years, governments,
the private sector, civil society, academia and the Internet technical
community have worked together at the local and the global levels to
make the Internet a useful tool for development. We now have more than
3 billion people online, with growth mostly in developing countries.
We have more work to do to reach the vision of an "Internet for
Everyone"; but much has been achieved and we should celebrate success.

May will be populated with a series of WSIS-related meetings taking
place in Geneva. Here is some background information to help you
navigate and engage in these discussions:

  *   CSTD<http://unctad.org/en/Pages/MeetingDetails.aspx?meetingid=606>
(4-8 May): This is the last phase of the WSIS review process before
the UN General Assembly process begins in June. A report on
"Implementing WSIS outcomes: A ten-year review" will be discussed, and
a Resolution on WSIS will be negotiated, which will provide important
guidance for the events to happen in New York in December. Raul
Echeberria, VP Global Engagement (ISOC), has been invited to deliver a
high-level statement at this occasion.

  *   IGF MAG and Open Consultations<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/>
(20-22 May): The Multistakeholder Advisory Group (MAG) will continue
preparations for the 2015 Internet Governance Forum, to be held 10-13
November 2015 in Brazil. Much efforts are spent on intersessional work
and ongoing progress with Best Practice
Forums<http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/best-practice-forums>, a format
that focuses on sharing lessons learned from dealing with tangible
issues such as spam. A new track on developing "Policy menus for
Connecting the Next Billion" has also been launched. We will be
sending a separate note on how to concretely engage in this work next
week.

  *   ITU Council
2015<http://www.itu.int/en/council/Pages/default.aspx> (12-22 May):
ITU Council meetings are open to all ITU Member States as well as ITU
sector members and are available as webcasts to Member States and
sector members. It is expected that the Council will discuss the role
of the ITU in the WSIS process.

  *   ITU WSIS Forum<http://www.itu.int/net4/wsis/forum/2015/> (25-29
May): WSIS Forums provide an annual avenue to take stock of progress
on WSIS Action Lines. The Internet Society is organizing a set of
sessions (collaborative security, local content) and will have
high-level representatives delivering policy statements. The theme of
this year's forum is "Innovating Together: Enabling ICTs for
Sustainable Development". More to follow as we get closer to the
event.

The original WSIS process took place soon after international
agreement on the creation of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
Similarly, this year's final WSIS+10 review takes place shortly after
the follow-up to the MDGs, the so called Sustainable Development Goals
(SDGs), to be adopted in New York, 25 - 27 September 2015. It is
already quite apparent that the SDG process is going to influence the
direction of the WSIS beyond 2015 towards the contribution of ICTs for
development.

As you can see, 2015 is a busy year for Internet Governance and the
Internet Society will continue to be on the front and facilitate the
participation of the Internet community. For an outlook and key global
and local IG tracks this year, visit our Internet governance timeline:
http://www.internetsociety.org/igtimeline

Additional information will be circulated w.r. to each of these
events. In the meantime, if you plan to participate or have any
questions, please let us know!

Best regards,

Constance Bommelaer
Senior Director, Global Internet Policy