[kictanet] Mpesa Migration

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:16:10 EAT 2015

On 20 April 2015 at 11:56, Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) via kictanet <

> Dear Listers,
> Other than the emotional value, what is in it for Kenyans with Mpesa
> "coming home"?

Hi Grace,

Someone has penned the following: http://goo.gl/yvooPb

However, from where I sit, I think it's just the sentimental/emotional
value that's being peddled. It's Kenyan product (really?? Which Kenyan did
it?) and it's been living in exile, but now we've brought it home! Okay,
that sounds quite negative so let me add..

I hope that clients will never see/hear "M-Pesa is experiencing delays.
Please wait for 10 minutes and try again". Item number 2 in the referenced
article seemed to want to touch on issues like this, but it doesn't
expressly say why we used to get such delays when the old (G-1) system
didn't actually hit it's peak limit. So maybe it was an issue with Internet
traffic delays to Germany, which is now eliminated from the equation by the
local hosting of the servers.

Maybe this G-2 will be opened up for the other Telcos, something that has
always been in contention. Item 3 in the referenced article wanted to talk
about that, but ended up with unnecessary noise. Time will tell whether
Safaricom will allow others to compete with it in its own platform.

Ni hayo tu kutoka kwangu.

--
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
Nairobi,KE