[kictanet] State-owned fibre optic cable not viable, says auditor-general

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Apr 8 15:47:22 EAT 2015

Grace

Thanks for sharing. This is the sort of myopic thinking that will take us back to the pre-internet days when Moi banned fax machines.

Saying NOFBI is not economically viable is like saying that our road networks are not economically viable. Seriously?

The one thing I'd agree with in that report is that it has definitely been under utilized. No argument there. That's where the Multi-Stakeholder model should kick in. I have always said that to leave ICT Infrastructure roll-out purely in the hands of the private sector is not the best strategy. Private and public sector must work hand in hand to ensure Universal Connectivity is available to the furthest corners of this country.

The Giants in Government who thought and executed NOFBI must have our gratitude forever. Now can someone in Government ensure it doesn't become a white elephant?

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought".  ~ Albert Szent-Györgyi

Sent from my iPad