[kictanet] CA (K) Licensing of KENIC Status

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Fri Sep 26 16:41:43 EAT 2014

Thank you Washington for sharing. Although the document is quite old (Nov
2013) and might have been overtaken by events, it sheds some light on what
has been happening.

KeNIC in the recent past has really tried in implementing positive
strategies like reviewing the price structure, and ensuring nearly all
registrars are automated.

In the past, minutes of board meetings were shared with the community
through this feed http://kenic.or.ke/index.php/about-kenic/board-minutes
The last minutes available are those for January 2012. That means the wider
Kenyan Internet community has gone for 2years and 9months being kept in the
dark on what is happening at KeNIC. Stopping publishing minutes where all
stakeholders can see brings out corporate governance issue. Maybe availing
the minutes to the stakeholders was a privilege, a favor rather than the a
right, ensuring we forever remain in the dark. The Chair  Dr. Jimmy
Macharia can shed some light if that is an approach they decided to take
with a Public Private Partnership (PPP) entity.

Because we are kept in the dark, we are always second guessing. There is
even talk that some board members want others kicked out of KENIC. This is
a case where some stakeholders feel they are more important than others.

I support Ali's call for more representation especially stronger
representation from the Registrars and End Users. Those two are very
important constituencies that can never be wished away. At least currently,
registrars are represented through DRAKE. Let's ensure it remains that way.

Lets monitor the situation and advocate for transparency and openness.

Sincerely,

Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
twitter.com/lordmwesh

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on
higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson

On 26 September 2014 08:16, Ali Hussein via kictanet <