[kictanet] Is it Consumer Safety or Competition between Safaricom & Equity?

Bernard Kioko bkioko at bernsoft.com
Thu Sep 25 14:42:15 EAT 2014

So I have been watching and reading the debate on thin-sim and the drama got
me thinking about something..

Almost every Kenyan bank today is running a USSD mobile banking service.
When you dial that number (eg *111#) ..and you enter your PIN to transact...
your PIN is transported between your phone and your bank in an open text
(clear text aka no encryption) that can be read easily. I am sure both
Safaricom and Equity know this for a fact. With this understanding, is the
thin-sim card discussion really about the security for consumer or is it
market-share politics? Can the two companies not find a secure work around
if it really is about security? Imagine if CCK / Central Bank had refused
MPESA citing consumer security because they could tell of the many mpesa
fraudsters reported daily.

Further, can CCK not "order" safaricom to open their sim card (subject to
commercial terms) for more SimToolkit applications in which case Equity
Mobile Money services would sit right next to MPESA menu on that same sim
card (and perhaps there would have been no need for a new MVNO - ok so am
being too ambitious!).

Isn't the big deal Equity's desire to enter the Mobile Money market and for
those following closely, you know the difference between "M-Shwari" and the
now almost dead "M-Kesho"

What are your thoughts?

--

* ------------------------------ *

This e-mail and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential, legally privileged and protected by law and is intended for
the sole use of the named recipient(s). Any unauthorized review, use, or
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. Any liability (in negligence or
otherwise) arising from any third party acting, or refraining from acting
on any information contained in this email is hereby excluded. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete the contents and notify the
sender immediately; do not disclose the contents to any other person, use
it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium. Whilst
our e-mails are checked for viruses, we cannot guarantee that this message
or any attachment is virus free, does not contain malicious code or is
incompatible with your electronic system and the Company does not accept
liability in respect of viruses, malicious code or any related problems
that you might experience. For further information about us, please contact
us at the address indicated below.

Bernsoft Interactive Limited - P O Box 15177-00100 Nairobi - Tel: +254 722
929192 Email: admin at bernsoft.com Web: www.bernsoft.com