[kictanet] Kenya ranked high globally in eGovernment

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Sep 17 07:56:58 EAT 2014

Victor

Thanks for sharing the very inspiring story of Estonia's journey to e-Governance.

The last paragraph struck me most:-
And this is what the United States, along with many other countries struggling to get the Internet, could learn from Estonia: the mindset. The willingness to get the key infrastructure right and continuously re-invent it. Before you build a health-insurance site, you need to look at what key components must exist for such a service to function optimally: signatures, transactions, legal frameworks, and the like.

Ultimately, the states that create these kinds of environments will be best positioned to attract the world’s increasingly mobile citizens.

What was also inspiring about the Estonia story is the debunking of the notion that with Digitization goes privacy. Estonia's drive to eGovernment is firmly anchored on the premise that the citizen owns his/her information and any government functionary snooping on my data will have to answer why he is doing that. This of course presupposes one's innocence.

Great inspiring story.

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad