[kictanet] Why we must foster ‘by Kenyans, for Kenyans’

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 13:31:29 EAT 2014

This is a national security issue...

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/eblog/2014/09/02/why-we-must-foster-by-kenyans-for-kenyans/

*Why we must foster ‘by Kenyans, for Kenyans’*

Posted by Opinion Leaders on September 2, 2014

DR CHRIS KIRUBI

During the recent US-Africa Summit, it was very clear that the objective
was to get investors who would partner with the Kenyan people (local firms)
to develop the country.

It was also an eye opener for the Government to see how the US Government
partners with local firms to enhance development in their country and
create opportunities elsewhere.

As the private sector we have made it clear that Government needs to work
with local firms to develop this nation and not only award ‘big’ tenders to
foreign companies who will come with their own working terms and conditions.

As a Kenyan businessman, it is very sad when I see some people opposing the
decision to award a local company a big tender such as the Lamu coal
project tender, while fighting for ‘foreign’ companies to be awarded.

It is embarrassing how we all talk about dealing with unemployment yet we
are not ready to empower credible local firms to create employment for
young people.

I wonder if at all those opposing are indeed patriotic Kenyans and want to
profit the Kenyan people. It is high time Kenyans benefited from tenders of
this magnitude.

My friends, sometimes it is not about what you will spend but rather the
outcome of your expenditure. The outcome must be of more value. Honestly, I
am happy for the 37,000 plus shareholders of Centum who have won this
tender.

This is a step in the right direction and we look forward to Government
partnering with credible local owned firms that are result oriented to
develop this country and its people.

The youth of this country will develop the coal plant and it will create a
livelihood for them and their families. We have the capability to do much
more if we partnered together. Let’s give Kenyans a chance to develop their
own country.

(Dr Kirubi is a Kenyan industrialist and a shareholder at Centum)