[kictanet] Policy to Develop Local Skills and Data Centers

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 11:28:06 EAT 2014

Dear Listers,

We need patriotic funds (tenders) for local firms (only) to build data
centers (and services) in Kenya.

No single firm should be allowed to handle data services for more than 10
counties unless it is a national government project. This will ensure we
have 5 firms in Kenya acquiring the knowledge and funds to manage our data.

You will never find well localized systems in departments or organizations
in the private or public sector which favor n. What is the point of trips
abroad if citizens on the ground are not well served?

The Kenya ICT Authority should also identify and award public/county
officials in Kenya building information systems utilizing and empowering
local firms/skills. County officials should recognize firms (not their own)
helping them develop and increase transparency.
We will steal less if we know our actions are

http://www.thereporterethiopia.com/index.php/news-headlines/item/2092-southwest-technologies-partners-to-launch-data-center-in-ethiopia

We should note, Ethiopia may be be targeting Central Africa after noting
Kenya as the East African IT Hub/Lead.

http://www.thereporterethiopia.com/index.php/news-headlines/item/2092-southwest-technologies-partners-to-launch-data-center-in-ethiopia

Results from some constructive politics...

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/software/microsoft-to-set-up-3-data-centres-in-india-by-2015/articleshow/43881117.cms

*Microsoft to set up 3 data centres in India by 2015*

NEW DELHI: Microsoft plans to offer its commercial and cloud services -
Azure and Office 365 - from three local data centres by the end of 2015,
making it the first technology company to set up cloud data centres in
India, a move that experts say will help the US-based software giant
compete better in the domestic market.

"When we think about the cloud opportunity in India itself, it is going to
be a $2 trillion opportunity," chief executive Satya Nadella said in Delhi
on Tuesday, adding that the move will help Indian companies, government and
entrepreneurs. Without disclosing the investment involved in setting up the
data centres, Nadella said they will have "sizeable" capacity.

The announcement is significant given that the ruling Bharatiya Janata
Party has been vocal about bringing local data centres to India to maintain
data sovereignty. Besides, a large number of Indian enterprises have
increasingly voiced concerns about hosting their data on the public cloud
because none of the major players such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft or
Google have cloud data centres in India.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/43881117.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Regards

Murigi / Stanley Muraya

*"Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one
who takes a city." Prov 16:32*