[kictanet] [isoc_ke] Fwd: [global-nn] ThisIsNetNeutrality Relaunch and Press Release

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Nov 25 11:01:21 EAT 2014

On 25 November 2014 at 08:42, Davis Onsakia via kictanet
<kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke> wrote:
> However, I don't agree in totality the assertion of the DG of CA that
> ''...access to the internet as a human right..' It is a long debate though.

Yes Davis, Internet is a basic human right. Internet as a human right
means that nobody should deny you access to the Internet under any
circumstance. A citizen's free will to use the Internet should never
be curtailed, and the government should ensure there is an enabling
environment for ever citizen to access the Internet. And this is why
policies like Universal Access Fund are in place to ensure
communication facilities are availed in all parts of the country. This
however does not mean that anybody is under the obligation to give you
free Internet. For example, food, shelter, access to health, and
clothing are basic human rights. But this right does not mean that
anybody should give you these needs for free, but that there should be
safeguards and enabling environment allowing every citizen to access
these basic needs unhindered.

Regards
Mwendwa Kivuva, Nairobi, Kenya
L: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lordmwesh
B: http://lord.me.ke/
T: twitter.com/lordmwesh

"There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk
on higher ground in that lifetime." - Maxwell Anderson