[kictanet] Does cashless matatu system have a regulatory framework?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 14:20:05 EAT 2014

True that Adam,

Monopolies are not necessarily bad since they can ensure a consolidated market to justify investments.  HOWEVER "Private monopolies" rather than "Public monopolies" is a different ball game altogether.  From my limited travels into the developed North, most (the bulk) of their transport system is under the Public Metropolitan/County government - with room for private sector intervention and innovations.

In Kenya we seem to have got it upside down.  Private sector single handedly runs our public transport system - and you can see where this landed us. I miss the days when I was just 10years old and was allowed to use the Public transport aka Kenya Bus Service in 1980s to go alone to public primary school (now @MbuguaNjihia has confirmed am ancient :-)

Indeed I am quite suprised by the loud silence from the Nairobi County government.  Perhaps they are also lost in terms of how, where, when and if they could get involved in this cashless payment system. The big picture (regulatory/market structure) seems to be in limited circulation.

walu.