[kictanet] Kenya Internet Governance Forum call for Themes and Panelists

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Thu May 22 00:40:30 EAT 2014

Although the IGF model as envisioned is not a decision making model,
the Kenya IGF has been praised even at UN level where the output has
been touted as a model to emulate because some of the decisions have
gone ahead and implemented at the national level. A good example is
the Article 10 of the constitution where Multi-stakeholderism has been
embraced in the constitution and all stakeholders are consulted in
national issues. As an example, we have seen CAK (CCK) call for public
consultation in the National Cyber Security Framework and the proposed
changes at KENIC. Most government Authorities have representation of
several stakeholders and the Kenyan consumer has a say in matters of
policy.

Article 10 National Values and principles of Governance
2. The national values and principles of governance include :
(a) patriotism, national unity, sharing and devolution of power, the
rule of law, democracy and participation of the people.
(b) human dignity, equity, social inclusiveness, equality, human
rights, non-discrimination and protection of the marginalised.

So let us not loose hope. The IGF might be a talk shop, but the
outcome has a positive bearing to our society. And talking is not
necessarily a bad thing because consensus on contemporary issues is
reached after engagement.

It's my hope that we can have as an inclusive discussion as possible
where all stakeholders feel they are participating on equal footing.

Warm Regards