[kictanet] Who speaks for the ICT professionals in Kenya?

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Thu May 8 10:56:01 EAT 2014

Friends,

This is a good discussions.

But can you really consider ICT in the same terms as medicine, engineering, law, accounting, etc.?

Consider that some of these professions have been around for centuries, have evolved codes/practices/ethics that have allowed for standardization (and hence regulation), mainly as a consequence impact on safety/lives/economy/etc. ICT, despite the speed with which it has allowed things to change, has yet to get there to be at par with some of these professions. Example: the core ICT subject matter expertise is not agreed across the board, although there is tendency towards convergence over the last 30 years. I have seen such disparate BScs in computer science/engineering with astounding variance! Amazing!

CSK's role was cut to help the profession mature in the country. It should do more and live to expectations. I have also seen a few names recently, mainly driven from private sector interests.

My guess: we're on an evolutionary path where the fittest will survive; fittest defined by terms like adaptation, innovation, relevance, etc.

Shukrani.
Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Manage your ICT risks! We are the experts you need! The trusted partners you deserve!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 (Canada) +254-20-267-0743 (Kenya) or info at aganoconsulting.com
Licensed by Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK)
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.