[kictanet] Digital Migration Appeal Court Ruling: COFEK Response

Wyne Bar wainaina.mungai at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 09:22:42 EAT 2014

I have kept off this debate because of vested interests by several parties
claiming to be making objective analyses. On this list, there's little, if
any, objectivity in the matter of Signal Distribution licensing and
#DigitalMigrationKE as a whole. I will therefore abstain from making direct
comment on the ruling, STBs, Tenders, BSD licences or the Switch-Off date.

Instead, I propose we focus on the new regulator. Six years ago, we had a
somewhat related debate (copied below) about Media Owners versus Editorial
Freedom.

The matter of what really constitutes 'media freedom' came up in 2012/13 as
it did in 2008 around the election period. It came up again during debates
on Media Laws as media owners presented their grievances. We forget to sort
out media regulation in fair weather.

After the ruling by the Supreme Court enforcing Section 34 of the
Constitution, what we may want to ensure as "Consumers of media", is that
the new regulator will be truly "independent" and yet "powerful"...cannot
be influenced by Media Owners or Government etc and can make & enforce bold
decisions.

If we get the composition, independence and (power) of the new regulator
wrong, nothing else we debate here about Signal Distribution, investor
protection or consumer rights will be of any consequence in protecting
consumers from rogue media or a rogue government.

On Broadcasting, the cliché "content is king" still holds and whether or
not BSD licence goes to local private media, the right to
access/rebroadcast their FTA content must remain with the Broadcaster. That
is also true for upcoming content producers who need protection of their
content from other players along the value chain. As we debate the issues,
let us remember there are many players in the Digital Broadcasting value
chain.

As the ruling has proved, the REGULATOR is a critical player in the
industry. Let us all help to put together a regulator that will guarantee
justice, innovation and all our ICT aspirations as a country.

**This is my personal position as a Kenyan consumer of media...and my views
do not represent any media house; or group of Broadcasters**

Have a regulated day,

Wainaina