[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Fwd: Who should Pay for Netflix? - For and Against Neutrality

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:02:48 EAT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Alex Nderitu <nderitualex at gmail.com>wrote:

> What Netflix is paying Comcast to do is prioritize Netflix's video traffic
> on Comcast's network.

not really.

Netflix is paying comcast to add more ports to the peering mesh where
Netflix's provider meets Comcast.  In addition, they may be now able to put
caches of netflix content inside the Comcast network, which in the past was
always denied, even tho it cost Comcast nothing and brings a better
experience to comcast customer.

This is similar to the Google Global cache that is shared at KIXP.

--
Cheers,

McTim