[kictanet] Laptop Project - who ate what when

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Sat Mar 22 09:45:30 EAT 2014

Listers,

I guess this goes straight to the point; sometimes we try to look for a
very sophisticated answer to a problem, when the real, yet simple answer,
lies right infront of us.

I would, however, try to contribute and clarify on one little lie that has
been said again and again to the point of becoming the truth.

Olive and those who support this rip-off mention that as long as the
Consortium had the Financial Capacity to perform then all is well...

Not too easy, procurement doesn't work like that. In every Consortium,
there is always a 'Lead' Partner, who gets *primarily* evaluated.

As an example, if "Walubengo Inc", with an annual turn over of Ksh 100M
(from some documents only I have 'seen'), as Lead Partner gets into a
Joint-Venture with IBMer to provide laptops that GoK requires, it would
either be idiotic for the evaluator to ignore the fact that the person who
will sign the deal, who will collect the cheques for the Ksh 20B Project is
'only' worth Ksh 100M.

The big question is why then not have IBMer do the deal directly with the
GoK? The answer to that is found in these two terms:
1. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
2. Serious Fraud Office

They kind of send shivers down the spine of some Fortune 500 CEOs.

So, where will this end up? No Laptop Project!

A Judicial Review, as applied for, takes about 1-2 Years to be heard and
determined. That takes us to past 3yrs since the Jubilee Gvt inauguration
and I doubt they will have the stomach to try this again so close to the
election period.

So, there, our kids, no laptops, a whole generation that's just been
forever screwed. If there is anything like too much greed this is it!

Hata ukikula, usikule saana, kidogo tu imetosha.

Regards

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
> wrote:

> Is it possible that the Jubilee Government is scuttling the effort to buy
> the laptops, a game of musical chairs because it is not committed to buying
> the said laptops? Lawsuits, counter-lawsuit, delays, ... sounds fishy.
>
> By John Walubengo
> More by this Author<http://www.nation.co.ke/-/1148/1969646/-/view/asAuthor/-/132yg1kz/-/index.html>
>
> Forget the Laptop hypothetical view<http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/The-Laptop-Project----a-hypothetical-perspective/-/1959700/2210314/-/nxjl5fz/-/index.html> we
> discussed a few weeks ago - it is now official from the Public
> Procurement Administrative Review Board<http://www.nation.co.ke/news/Laptop-tender-price-was-topped-up-by-Sh1-4b--rules-review-board/-/1056/2246786/-/u94lq9z/-/index.html> (PPARB)
> that something was not right with the tendering process. With close to Ksh
> 30Billlion at stake, Kenyans would have been too ambitious to imagine the
> process would be smooth sailing.
>
> With the Ethic and Anti-Corruption agency (EACC) vowing to join the
> action, it is not too early to conclude that money may have changed hands;
> that is some people, somewhere ate and perhaps ate big
>
>  On his way to winning the presidential election in 1992, Bill Clinton
> proclaimed "Its the economy, stupid<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_the_economy,_stupid>!"
> as a way of focusing the electorate on the real issue.  To the Kenyan child
> and parent who still believes that this project is about Lap-tops, I
> politely say to them "It's about the election money, stupid!"
>

> more:
> http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/blogs/dot9/Laptop-Project---who-ate-what-when/-/1959700/2248206/-/cn6f2u/-/index.html

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke