[kictanet] Yu acquisition proposal to regulator

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 07:18:53 EAT 2014

I thought Kenya was a liberal country, what's with everyone wanting to
place regulatory hurdles on Yu's exit.

Biggest issue is Safaricom's acquisition of spectrum belonging to YU and
thus putting more spectrum under them - which they badly need to improve
network quality in urban areas which suffer from congestion.

Industry analysts have long predicted consolidation of MNOs in African
countries to 3 or 4 per country (see an interview I did with Coleago in
December
http://www.cio.co.ke/news/main-stories/coleago's-chris-gives-insights-on-lte-network-sharing,-spectrum,-future-and-regulation-of-africa-telecoms#)

The buy out paves the way for licensing of MVNOs, which have an advantage
of sharing existing capacity and unutilised resources rather than building
out whole networks again.