[kictanet] Stung by cyber attacks, State resolves to host websites locally

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri Jul 25 12:18:39 EAT 2014

I suppose we also need to move all the social media accounts locally?

I mean seriously!

First things first. The Government needs to have proper infrastructure to manage all their Digital Assets. This should start with the right HR Resources.  A CIO is called for as a matter of urgency with a clear mandate to organize, invest, execute and ensure the security of all these Assets. This doesn't only include Websites. These are just portals to access information. It includes the digital migration to digital IDs, the Land Registry, the Company Registry, immigration etc.

You get the picture.

Having the CAK all of a sudden being asked to host government websites is a waste of our resources and detracts the CAK from doing the job they are there to do. Regulation. I urge CAK to resist and reject these demands on their scarce resources. They could however second competent staff to assist the Central Government achieve this.

This may sound harsh but someone needs to take control and stop these knee jerk reactions to serious breaches of our Digital Assets!

Brand Kenya is under serious threat as the so called Hub of ICT in Africa.

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad