[kictanet] Stung by cyber attacks, State resolves to host websites locally

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Fri Jul 25 12:17:37 EAT 2014

The important thing is to be using multiple hosting providers and different
levels of protection.

And of course, Twitter cannot be moved to Kenya :-)

You're right that an in-country host is no more secure than one anywhere
else from a cyberattack point of view.  However, from a regulatory point of
view it's much different.  Right now the EU can compel Kenyan groups to
hand over data because the data resides there.  That's not an issue with a
local host like Kili.  Anyway, local hosts are way faster - that's the most
important thing.  Having the data local (i.e. Kili) literally makes it 40%
faster.

Also, for the CloudFlare attack, because there are only 3 routes into the
country, a big DDOS from outside probably wouldn't be as intense as it
could be to a host in the EU or US.  The important thing is that media,
government, and enterprises aren't in a position to host on the Internet -
they need modern cloud providers like Amazon or Rackspace to help them - or
if they're in Kenya, take advantage of a better service for the same price
- Kili.

-Adam

--
Kili - Cloud for Africa: kili.io
Musings: twitter.com/varud <https://twitter.com/varud>

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Mwendwa Kivuva via kictanet <