[kictanet] Revisiting the ITRs in a Post-Snowdenia World

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Wed Jul 9 09:42:13 EAT 2014

Mwendwa

Besides the fact that this issue at the IGF had an interesting and very lively discussion with panelists including:-

1. Hon. James Rege
2. Michael Murungi, Google
3. Julie from ICJ
4. Fiona Asonga of TESPOK

There really wasn't any one position that was taken - I did however try to get Murungi of Google to take a stand on issues like the right to be forgotten and the official position of Google on Net Neutrality...suffice it to say he hedged that one!! :) - besides the fact that we needed to include issues like:-

1. Universal and affordable Access
2. Third Party Liability
3. Big Brother tendencies of government and how this needs to be tampered with the increasing need for National Security concerns in the wake of terrorism and other security issues.
4. Online child pornography and other issues.

Kivuva, its a given that this subject is sometimes a boring and difficult one for some of us and that is why we need to increasingly continue the advocacy and sensitive everyone about it.

Because If not us then who?

Regards

Ali Hussein

+254 770 906375 / 0713 601113

Twitter: @AliHKassim
Skype: abu-jomo
Blog: www.alyhussein.com

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad