[kictanet] 4G status

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Mon Jan 20 22:00:06 EAT 2014

 Future of LTE in Africa:
http://manypossibilities.net/2014/01/africas-lte-future/

Looking forward to voice over LTE. As Steve notes, it will  "present
interesting new challenges for voice quality"

Best
Alice

On 20/01/2014 13:51, Adam Nelson wrote:
> @James, thanks for the info.
> @Mark, LTE is not just about higher bandwidth, it's also about lower
latency and lower per-MB costs in the future.
> @ICT Researcher, your point is well taken and it's the type of thing
that I think about whenever I write to this list.  It's the same reason
that you'll notice no Europeans or Americans ever respond to notes
complaining about the state of ICT in Kenya (even though the list has
many of them) - they're afraid they'll be accused of racism.  I
personally think that there is no fundamental reason that the Kenyan ICT
sector can't compete with those of other countries so I try to just say
it like I see it.  The lack of 4G being on the roadmap is bad for the
country's ICT future, the lack of ability to hire foreign workers is bad
for the entire corporate sector, etc...  and if people don't complain,
nothing will change.  And if you reduce the number of people allowed to
complain to only those who were born here - then even less will happen.
> --
> Kili - Cloud for Africa: kili.io
> Musings: twitter.com/varud
> More Musings: varud.com
> About Adam: www.linkedin.com/in/adamcnelson
>

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM, James Mbugua <jgmbugua at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Adam,
>     Because of the limited spectrum, CCK had sought a joint approach, a
consortium of sorts similar to TEAMS to rollout LTE. But some of the
players are apprehensive about this and want to go it alone.
Ericsson had also offered to build it with no payment upfront but I
don't know what came of that.
>     I tend to suspect that the fiber rollout by Safaricom is meant to
anticipate its rollout of an LTE network backhauled by this cable it
is rolling out across the country. But that's just my guess.

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/jgmbugua%40gmail.com

>         The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder
platform for people and institutions interested and involved in
ICT policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst
for reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of
ICT enabled growth and development.

>         KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable
behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people's
times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or
personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your
wares or qualifications.

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/adam%40varud.com