[kictanet] PSVs required to fit cameras, implement cashless payment, and fleet management systems

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 17:58:02 EAT 2014

I agree with the scheduling bit though i don't see how this can be divorced
from the fares. I still insist transport should be primarily a govt affair.
If not by ownership then by strict regulation inclusive of setting of
fares, just like in Energy. if let loose we have the likes of Enron and our
matatu culture as is. Some sectors cannot be left to market forces because
market forces are largely an idyllic situation and manipulated to the core.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Ngigi Waithaka <ngigi at at.co.ke> wrote:

> Digital Speed Governors aka Tachographs are a good idea.
>
> We could start with that, get matatus on regular timed schedules, then
> start selling electronic tickets for day, week & month, yearly. This you
> pay for using Mpesa etc, but spot fares should be in cash.
>
> Waithaka Ngigi
>
> Alliance Technologies
> Nairobi, Kenya
>
> www.A1.io
> On 5 Jan 2014 13:21, "Kivuva" <Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>
>> A new law to regulate the public transport has been put in place and
>> will take effect by June 2014 where
>> 1. All PSVs must implement cashless paymeny system for bus fare
>> 2. All PSVs to be fit with fleet management systems where overspeeding
>> will be checked from system logs, not on speed cameras
>> 3. All PSVs to have surveillance cameras to reduce carjackings, petty
>> crimes, and terrorism
>> 4. Install digital speed governors
>>
>> This will see Beba Pay and Mpesa fight for supremacy. I'm keen to see
>> what card Safaricom has on it's deck. This is a great opportunity for
>> payment system innovators to comeup with exciting products, and also
>> for fleet management system companies to have regular work. The
>> commuters on the other hand will dig dipper in their pockets to pay
>> for the services.
>>
>> And finally, the government has a way of collecting taxes on the Ksh
>> 205 Billion industry
>>

>> http://mobile.nation.co.ke/business/New-law-on-technology-to-transform-PSV-sector/-/1950106/2134508/-/format/xhtml/-/5hut8qz/-/index.html
>>
>> --

Regards,