[kictanet] Google loses round one of court battle with Waiguru

Isaac Mutunga scmutunga at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 10:24:48 EAT 2014

The law is silent on intermediary liabilities but we can borrow 'safe harbour scheme' from countries like Australia, US and Europe.  Safe harbour scheme for internet intermediaries protect them from liability for offenses committed by persons who use their services, where the intermediary meets certain conditions. This is because given the quantity of material generated on these sites, and the instantaneous way in which online communications are sent and received, this may be oppressive and unreasonable to expect the search engines to police all content coursing through the system.
May be Section 230 of Communications Decency Act 1996 (US) contains a particularly strong and broadly applicable safe harbour scheme which can be used to come up with an internet intermediary law.

No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider...No cause of action may be brought and no liability may be imposed under any State or local law that is inconsistent with this section.