[kictanet] LTE/4G and the state of broadband and Universal Access in Kenya

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Tue Dec 9 13:13:41 EAT 2014

Walu,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Adam good thoughts..especially
>
> ****"If Safaricom can sell LTE to the 1% and that makes enough money to
> pay well for the spectrum license and GoK then uses that money for the USF
> to build 3G towers in rural areas - then that's really great".
>
> *But then again Safcom is not a charity organisation and may rather pay
> out the profits to the shareholders (like me :-) rather than build extra
> 3G towers to remote non economic zones in Kenya.*
>
> Those 3G towers would be built with the USF which would be topped-up by
the license auction (or by dividends from a dedicated utility that runs the
LTE towers).

> then
> ***"4G/LTE deployments aren't really that much more expensive than 3G as I
> understand it."
> *I dont have the actual costs, but the fact is 4G/LTE base stations have a
> small footprint/radius compared to 3G, so you will require more base
> stations to cover larger areas/populations. More base stations more money
> hence the cost of service to the customer can only be higher.*
>
> For the near future, LTE and 3G are complementary (i.e. they would both be
deployed simultaneously in overlapping networks) and costs to build out LTE
would only be paid back by LTE users.  Safaricom is smart enough to figure
out the economics on this and I'm sure they wouldn't be deploying LTE in
Nairobi/Mombasa if it didn't mean they would make more money over time.

> *** The big difference is the 'cost' of the spectrum - which is whatever
> the market will bear.
> actually cost of spectrum will be decided/or has been decided by the
> Regulator. But the point is, even if it was given away for free, or through
> trading there is no guarantee that the benefit will not be translated to
> the consumer.
>
> I'm hoping they auction the spectrum or assign it to a heavily regulated
tower operator that the MNOs can use.  Proceeds would go to USF and to
improving the backhaul infrastructure..

> *In summary, I guess my beef is not against the LTE technology( it is
> good, it is inevitable and it will be deployed).  My point is that it will
> not address the high cost of communication and is not likely to address the
> bigger picture (getting everyone online).  *

We agree in the end :-)  LTE is indeed inevitable which in my experience is
always a reason to just get started with it and develop expertise around
the technology.  It will be on every smartphone sold in about a year and
building out a countrywide LTE network will take at least 2 years in Kenya.

> *And yes, that is not Safaricom's problem but the Regulators problem. *

We all wish the regulators were stronger and more thoughtful.

Adam