[kictanet] Cyber Warfare on Kenya or Random Chinese

Peter Wakaba peterwakaba at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 20:15:20 EAT 2014

STATEMENT FROM CHINESE EMBASSY IN NAIROBI... AFTER MISTAKENLY SENDING OUT A
REPORT BY CHINA DAILY....

*****
*CORRECTION - THIS IS THE OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY
SPOKESPERSON HUA CHUNYING - THE PREVIOUS INFORMATION IS THE REPORTING BY
CHINA DAILY AND THEREFORE ANYONE WISHING TO USE IT SHOULD QUOTE CHINA
DAILY.*

Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference
on December
5, 2014
2014/12/05

*Q: The Kenyan police arrested 77 Chinese people suspected of financial
fraud. Please give us more details on this case and what efforts has China
made.*

A: We have noted this report. Investigation is still underway and initial
assessment shows that this is likely to be a telecommunication fraud case.
China and Kenya enjoy long-standing friendship, and the Chinese side
resolutely supports the Kenyan side in combating all forms of illegal and
criminal activities. We will actively cooperate with the Kenyan side to
carry out investigation and handle the case in accordance with law.
Meanwhile, we also hope that the Kenyan side can safeguard the legitimate
rights and interests of Chinese citizens being involved and properly deal
with this case in a law-abiding and just way.

*****

ALLEGED CHINA DAILY REPORT SENT OUT BY CHINESE EMBASSY ALLEGEDLY BY MISTAKE:

(sic)
See attached, Statement by the Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mrs
Hua Chunying on the 77 arrested communications fraudsters in Nairobi.

*The Chinese Embassy in Kenya will also release an official statement in
the course of the day.*

Arrested 77 suspects in Nairobi may be involved in a telecommunication
fraud and China will cooperate with relative parties to break the case,
according to the Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Hua Chunying.

Hua said China and Kenya enjoy a long-term friendship and China strongly
supports Kenya’s efforts on fighting against all kinds of crimes. China
will also collaborate with Kenya to conduct relative investigation and
bring criminals to justice, she said in a regular press conference in
Beijing on Friday.

“We also hope Kenyan authorities could ensure Chinese citizens’ lawful
rights, and process this case in a justice and lawful manner,” she added.

Earlier this week Kenya police found a large number of unregistered
communication equipments in a villa near the office of United Nations
Environment Programme in its capital city Nairobi, when they were
investigating over a fire that killed one Chinese.

When spotted the equipments and many other suspicious tools in the house,
the police then arrested 77 suspects.

Sources said one of the suspects is a Thailand passport holder and the rest
are from the Chinese mainland and Taiwan.

Tele fraud gang’s dens previously were found in various regions and
southeastern Asian countries including Indonesia, Philippine, Vietnam,
Thailand, Laos, Malaysia and Singapore. This case may further signal a
relocation of this kind of crime ring to Africa.

The number of telecommunication fraud cases in China has exceeded 300,000
in 2013, resulting in a loss of more than 10 billion yuan ($1.63 billion),
according to Chinese National Congress deputy Chen Weicai.

This kind of crimes mostly targeted at Chinese citizens by calling them to
transfer certain amount of money to designated accounts based on fabricated
reasons and the callers were normally in the name of a public authority,
including police, court, or banks. As the callers’ number appeared on the
cell phone was changed to the official number of respective authority by
special technologies, so victims followed their instructions although with
suspicions.

In October, Egypt police unearthed a fraud ring and arrested 96 Chinese
suspects accused of telecommunication fraud. The police said 56 of them are
from the Chinese mainland and the other 40 are from China's Taiwan
province.

In May, police from Fujian province uncovered two fraud gangs. In one case,
a woman surnamed Shi from Shishi city was defrauded over six million yuan.
The woman was called continually since March 30 by people claiming
themselves as officials from post office, public security bureau and
procuratorate. They told Shi that she was suspected to be involved in money
launder and needed to transfer her money to safe accounts.

The police arrested 35 suspects and found the two gangs were based in
Indonesia and Kenya. They carried out the fraud and then drew the money in
Taiwan.

 ***** ENDS

*Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it must run faster
than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up,
it knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It
doesn't matter whether you are a gazelle or a lion. When the sun comes up,
you better start running. - In "The World is Flat" by Thomas L. Friedman.*

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Gichuki John Chuksjonia via kictanet <