[kictanet] ICT Authority Board Appointments Quashed by the High Court

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 9 13:08:18 EAT 2014

Ngigi,

That's a fair argument. Except that Universities (Public or Private) are not your typical organisation. There is usually that thing called Academic Freedom. We tend to be entitled to, and defend our own thinking - and reserve the right to disagree with someones else thinking. Irrespective of whether it is the Vice Chancellor, the Minister or the President who is having contrary opinion.

I think someone with this background or culture is infact more "independent" than someone who sits on a board representing specific and narrow interests, be they commercial, political or otherwise.  In another words, as an academic, I can disagree with my boss on an issue and live to earn my salary the following day, because my terms of employment guarantee my my academic freedom/right to disagree. Not quite sure this applies in the private sector :-)

Nevertheless, your argument does hold some water, but perhaps applies only to folks in what we used to call "Central" and now "National" Government a.k.a the CORE civil servants.  I still dont think Public University dons fall in this category of core civil service. But as @Mwendwa said, I could be biased..

walu.