[kictanet] Standoff looms as Safaricom, Airtel oppose new levy

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Fri Aug 8 09:57:59 EAT 2014

Friends,

The Universal Service Fund (USF) is a tried, tested and successful idea where it has been implemented well. The intention is noble: to help take (in our case) telecom services to disadvantaged areas where companies may not make as much money as others. The fund is supposed to help fund infrastructure in such areas or offer it as compensation/incentive for those that venture to such areas.

In Canada, for instance, one enjoys similar quality of service and access to telecom services in Nunavut (a vast, sparsely populated territory near the North Pole) as in major urban and business centres as Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, ... and the like.

In my opinion, it has taken longer than usual to operationalize the fund in Kenya! The recently appointed team should accelerate the process and hence drive the benefits intended to mwananchi in areas that qualify to benefit from the fund.

Shukrani.

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Manage your ICT risks! We are the experts you need! The trusted partners you deserve!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 (Canada) +254-20-267-0743 (Kenya) or info at aganoconsulting.com
Licensed by Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK)
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.