[kictanet] Can technology solve terrorist problems in Kenya?

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Tue Apr 15 13:53:11 EAT 2014

Brian,

Without speaking for and/or behalf of Conrad, what I guess he meant is
this; today, someone walks to Garissa Immigration office with 30K and they
take his photo & fingerprints store them in a  DB somewhere and the guy
walks out with an authentic Kenyan ID, just like you and me.

When we implement this 'new' system, that will cost us a few billion
shillings no-doubt, seeing that it is likely going to be procured by that
same entity that couldn't procure a working eVoter system, someone will
still walk to an office in Garissa with 30K, have his fingerprints,
biometric and even DNA data uploaded into this system, and walk out an
authentic Kenyan, just like you & me.

If Makaburi could have walked to the US Embassy with 1M USD and gotten a
diplomatic American Passport & Visa, what use are all those systems in the
background that supposedly are implemented to check on false passports and
visas?

The question is, regardless of how much technology you throw at this, how
would you stop the fundamental problem that is the corruption that pervades
our institutions?

One thing I learnt in Engineering school, if you get your first principles
wrong, then everything else that's based on those principles will be
fundamentally useless.

The problem is we as a country have not learnt what our first principles
should be.

Regards
Ngigi Waithaka

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com>wrote:

> Conrad,
>
> I find it really offensive that you would paint every single police and
> immigration officer as corrupt. I am sure that in our case (as in any other
> country) it's a few bad apples. There are many men and women who faithfully
> serve this country every day and are not what you describe.....
>

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Given it will be the same corrupt police and immigration officers running
>> this exercise, what will be the point?
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM, Mwendwa Kivuva <
>> Kivuva at transworldafrica.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Government to register all Kenyans afresh in digital database
>>>
>>> http://mobile.nation.co.ke/news/Digital-database-for-all-kenyans/-/1950946/2279712/-/format/xhtml/-/uityfn/-/index.html
>>>
>>> I've always wondered why it's virtually impossible to get UK or US
>>> citizenship through the back door, unless you get into a phony
>>> marriage with a delinquent from those countries. Will setting up a
>>> biometric database prevent rogue employees at the department of
>>> registration from getting bribes to register foreigners as Kenyan
>>> citizens? As far as I can remember, when I applied for the kipande,
>>> all my 10 digits' prints were taken.
>>>
>>> --

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke