[kictanet] [FOSSFA Members] About Heartbleed Vulnerability

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 10:02:26 EAT 2014

@Kivuva,

Security is an issue for both Open Source /FOSS products(Linux, Android,etc) as well proprietary ones(e.g Windows, SAP, Oracle, iOS, etc).  However, the argument for Open Source has been that since the product/code is "open" to millions of programmer eyes, there is a higher probability of eventually spotting and publishing the flaws (such as what has happened in the current instance of the Hearbleed vulnerability).

Imagine if this piece of software (OpenSSL) was closed/proprietary; the NSA and even our very own NIS will continue "milking" the security flaw for as long as it takes...and as long as the proprietary owner is sufficiently paid to maintain silence about the security hole.

For me its a question of which one is the better devil :-)

walu.