[kictanet] [FOSSFA Members] About Heartbleed Vulnerability

Mwendwa Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sun Apr 13 13:41:37 EAT 2014

This calls for a big debate among the Open Source community and
evaluation of how exposed we can be. I'm imagining how many servers
will go unpatched thus exposing the data to would be hackers.

It is alleged through a Bloomberg article that NSA knew about the
vulnerability two years ago, but kept it secret to continue harvesting
user data. http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-04-11/nsa-said-to-have-used-heartbleed-bug-exposing-consumers.html

This might be a wrong alarm but How safe are we as FOSS community
because we heavily rely on these applications that may actually have
backdoors and rootkits with the aim of taking control of our systems
and spying on us.