[kictanet] KENYA POWER - The Answer to Universal Connectivity for all?

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 21:32:12 EAT 2013

I agree with Matunda as far as the lack of data or rather my not having
access to it goes. It would be massively convenient for me to withdraw
money from any ATM without incurring hefty VISA charges etc. The banks can
sort each other out in the back office.
I always say technology should be as invisible as possible. Telling me I
cant use certain ATMs because my card doesn't have some branding or chip or
whatever is exposing me to the tech. Most of us rarely care how the tech
works so long as it does and it is affordable.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Matunda Nyanchama <
mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com> wrote:

> Friends
>
> I like cheap bandwidth; and all Kenyans (actually all global citizens)
> need affordable bandwidth; some say it is a human right.
>
> I must assume that KPLC, Safaricom, Telkom Kenya, .... that are all laying
> fibre, have done their business plans/models to justify the spending.  I
> cannot second guess them.
>
> Competition is also good as shown from the cost of airtime that has fallen
> progressively, making it affordable for more and more people; and making
> piles of money for the companies. It is good for the economy and the
> nation.
>
> We need regulation that allows access of infrastructure of one provider to
> others, provided there is agreement on charges. We shouldn't go the way of
> banks (anyone from CBK here?) where one cannot reach their accounts from
> ATMs of some banks! ...
>
> One thing I would love to hear (perhaps from our economists) the
> cumulative costs of providing services. For instance for telecoms get a per
> unit spend : add all cost elements (people, infrastructure, facilities,
> equipment, ...) divided by the number of users/subscribers. Compare this
> with similar charges in other countries ... I am not sure what the data
> will tell. It will have a story, inferences ...
>
> And may also raise questions such as: as a nation, would we have better
> spent the money elsewhere? Or: we need to spend more as we are spending too
> little given priorities.
>
> Over to you!

> Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
> Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;
> <http://twitter.com/#%21/nmatunda>Skype: okiambe

> Manage your ICT risks! We are the experts you need! The trusted partners
> you deserve!
> Call: +1-888-587-1150 (Canada) +254-20-267-0743 (Kenya) or
> info at aganoconsulting.com
> Licensed by Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK)

> "The best revenge is massive success" - Frank Sinatra

> This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain
> confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s).
> Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
> notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the
> message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.

Regards,

Mark Mwangi

markmwangi.me.ke