[kictanet] [eThinkTankTz] Uganda has the cheapest Broadband Internet in E-Africa.

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 09:36:16 EAT 2013

@Brian,

this is where we go wrong. We (East Africans) pay top-dollar to be members of ITU and then we consistently ignore their research output for various reasons - including lying :-). In which case we should at least stop being members and save the money for something else. Incidentally, ITU has been around for donkey years doing policy research in telecomms and we should at least give their report some little respect and attention.

But if we doubt them, we should produce alternate research like what Eng. Dr. Zaipuna O. Yonah, PhD has done with Research ICT Africa report- whic shows that actually .TZ has the most affordable internet services. From the quick reading of that I can see that perhaps what Research ICT Africa failed to do was that they did not "normalize" their figures.

What this means is that if a coke or any product is 1USD in the US and it is also 1USD in Kenya, that coke is still considered more expensive in Kenya because of differentials in national income levels i.e. they are not equally affordable . Put differently an American finds it easier to spend the 1USD than the Kenyan would.

So if one was to "normalize" the Research ICT report against national income levels, we would most likely arrive at the same (ITU) conclusion.

walu.