[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Masters Degree Program: Is It Worth It?

Betty Obura Ogange ogange at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 00:07:44 EAT 2013

Hi Kivuva,

I like the ‘bragging rights’ bit;-).

Self-study is cheaper as you say, but
perhaps more expensive in the long run. Going to class, be it an online or
physical class, has some added value as you become part of a ‘community of
enquiry’ where learners collectively construct meaning as they engage in
collaborative learning activities of various kinds. This is why group work is
encouraged in many learning contexts.

Self-study in its purest form sets you on a lonely learning
path and one definitely misses out on the added value that comes with the diverse
abilities that will naturally exist in a more social learning context.

I would choose Masters in a set up where I learn alongside others.

Betty Obura Ogange, PhD | Director | The eCampus | Maseno University
Varsity Plaza, 10th Floor,
P.O Box 3275 - 40100, Kisumu, KENYA
Tel: +254 572 021 013 |Cell: +254
722-348 693|e-mail: bogange at maseno.ac.ke|
http://ecampus.maseno.ac.ke/ | Facebook  |  Tweeter
The eCampus of Maseno University places Education right at your
fingertips
by offering high quality degree, diploma and certificate programmes through
eLearning.
For more information, please visit  http://ecampus.maseno.ac.ke/