[kictanet] Bringing down the cost of Internet

Muriuki Mureithi muriukimureithi9 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 09:18:53 EAT 2013

Congratulations Dr Ndemo for the  appointment as the Honorary Chair in A4AI
. I have worked with Sonia in the past and the two of you make a formidable
team  to fight a formidable battle for humanity . thanks also for driving
change from  where Sir Tim Bernard-lee started off .The battle lines as
expressed in the write up are very clear

I only have one  problem with your strategy -- that build they will come  as
a strategy need to be re-jigged. As an example, in all countries in Africa,
the signal coverage 2G/3G etc is  30-40% more  than penetration , the same
case for fibre - there are more homes 'passed' than connected . Cost is not
the only factor  affecting use,  indeed empirical research for the
communities  that can afford the challenge is use value. Content,
applications  and dynamics of the demand side are  very important . I would
like to understand A4AI is incorporating demand side component in its
strategy . The consumer should not be a passive  bystander in your strategy

Cheers
MM