[kictanet] Did I hear Telco CEOs say Everyone is Registered?

ICT Researcher ict.researcher at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 10 00:48:52 EAT 2013

At the press conference the CEOs lied shamelessly about NOT having unregistered users.

Read: http://www.nation.co.ke/news/SIM-cards-registration-security/-/1056/2026234/-/u58ibgz/-/index.html

Mobile phone firms on Wednesday blocked unregistered SIM cards from their networks following an order by President Kenyatta.
The President on Wednesday ordered immediate mop-up of all unregistered SIM cards to prevent their use by criminals.

“Move with speed in ensuring that the unregistered SIM cards are disabled
completely. We do not want unscrupulous people to use them in
perpetrating criminal activities,” he said during a meeting with mobile
phone company bosses at State House, Nairobi.

TRIED TO MAKE CALLS

Numerous numbers from the Safaricom, Airtel, Orange and yu networks were disconnected on Wednesday morning.

Safaricom switched off its network on Tuesday between 11pm and midnight.

Subscribers who tried to make calls at the time received a message which said: “We
cannot complete your request as your phone is not registered.”

Subscribers called the Nation newsroom to complain that they had been switched off.

“My yu Sim card was working perfectly until yesterday morning when it
suddenly lost network. It was registered by the street vendor who sold
it to me,” Mr Anthony Mugo said.

Mr Mikah Kiptoo, who
had an Orange line, said: “I have been browsing on my Orange line since
7am until around 10:30am when my line lost network. I called customer
care and was told to visit the nearest Orange agent. My line was
switched off without notification.”

Safaricom director
of corporate affairs, Mr Nzioka Waita, said that he had not received any complaints of blocked SIM cards. He maintained that the company had no
unregistered SIM cards accessing its network.

yuMobile chief executive Madhur Taneja told the Nation on phone that the SIM
disconnection was part of a regular process conducted among customers
whose registration details are not convincing.

“If a
customer’s documentation is not complete, it is nothing new or
different, their lines will automatically be disconnected. We advised
the customers to resubmit their details. They could have been 100 or
even 1,000 customers,” Mr Taneja said.

Airtel did not respond to phone calls from the Nation.

Communications Commission of Kenya director-general Francis Wangusi warned at a press
briefing at the Hotel InterContinental that it would suspend the
licences of mobile phone firms if all unregistered SIM cards on their
networks were not terminated. The companies were also cautioned to
provide updated call records to the regulator.
As a lesson to others, the government should seriously consider revoking their work permits for breaking Kenyan law