[kictanet] ARE WE ROLLING BACK THE ICT GAINS OF THE LAST 10 YEARS?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Thu Nov 28 10:08:25 EAT 2013

Kivuva

Thanks. This is beyond civil society and control issues. It goes to the heart of how we as a country have been able to grow in the Internet space in the last 10 years because of progressive government interventions in consultation with private sector and civil society.

Let me put it plainly so that maybe some of the policy makers may understand the import of some of the decisions we take as a country.

If we accept the ITRs as they are what we are basically saying from a commercial perspective is this:-

ISPs (read Safaricom, Orange, Access Kenya, Airtel etc) will have the legal standing to tell content providers (from my blog, to Google, to Facebook, to Ma3Racer, to Nation Digital etc) that for them to allow their customers to access your content you must pay them a toll fee.  Now I understand that this particular shot was aimed at the Googles and Facebooks  of this world. Fundamentally this is wrong and in principle this was something suggested by the European Telcos which the EU rejected and somehow found its way as the Africa Position during WCIT12..

NOW I ASK:- ON WHOSE BEHALF WAS THE AFRICA POSITION TABLED? WHY ARE WE STILL PAWNS IN THE BIGGER SCHEME OF THINGS? ( the CAPS are intentional because somehow we must get a reaction from the policy wonks in government)

There are many other issues that are fundamentally wrong with the new ITRs but I will leave that to Grace, Alice and all.

Lets get serious as a country. I understand that there are political and diplomatic ramifications in international treaty making and discourse. These however must be tempered with commitment to our economic realities. If I'm to make a reference to the Jubilee Manifesto then some of the actions of this government go contrary to the letter and spirit of the very manifesto they eschew.

Ali Hussein

+254 0770 906375 / 0713 601113

"I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein

Sent from my iPad