[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Day 4: PROMOTING CYBERSECURITY AND COMBATING CYBERCRIME

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 09:23:51 EAT 2013

Many thanks GG,

This is an emerging subject area that requires collaboration from our
learned friends across the region. As it is we dont have a well established
legal system on the continent to deal with cross border dispute resolution
which forces us to resolve most our domain name related issues through
WIPO. Two years ago i heard  of an African initiative by lawyers to
establish an institution that would tackle domain related issues. Can
Victor Kapiyo or Grace Bomu appraise us on this if they are in the know? ,
i suppose we would need an African court for that purpose which would
equally mean a set of laws or convention, like the one we are discussing to
provide the basis of Judgement. Borrowing Ali's words a crime online is
similar to a crime offline and should be subjected to due jurisprudence on
merit. I think additional punishment might mean community service as well,
we live that to the Judges ours is to agree on the basis of the judgements
which is the law.

Barrack O. Otieno
+254721325277
+254-20-2498789