[kictanet] Day 2: On-line debate on African Union Convention on Cyber Security (AUCC)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 28 00:47:43 EAT 2013

Thanks to everyone who has spoken today including the CS,
Walu, Ali, Gakuru, Gideon and Waudo.

@ Ali, thanks for sharing the
useful resource.  Will include it the
references section in our final document.

@Walu, I agree with you
entirely! This is the time to contribute and shape the AUCC. Truly we should
not complain when given the opportunity unless our views are ignored. This is
an sign that we need a framework that allows stakeholders contributions to be
reflected in the final outcome.

@Gideon, thanks
for sharing your analysis. Your suggestion on the need for state prerogatives to be well
defined so as not to breach the rights of a private life online or offline is
noted. Further, the selection of an all inclusive and not necessarily government
Protection Authority is a good input.

@Waudo, the
National Communication Secretariat has not been disbanded, maybe just quiet. Perhaps
we should be inquire its role in policy formulation.

@Gakuru, thanks
for the article. You raise an important point: Is
the intent to protect Africans data from external violations of privacy among
other fundamental rights? A point to think about.

Listers, please feel free to go back to any day of the week
and raise the issue(s) that you may have.

Rgds

GG