[kictanet] Day 3: Personal Data Protection

Gideon gideonrop at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 11:40:51 EAT 2013

Dear Dr. Matiangi and Listers,

Please find the comments by DotConnectAfrica on the entire Draft African
Union Convention on the establishment of a Credible Legal Framework for
Cyber Security in Africa.

DotConnectAfrica took initiative, analyzed and published these comments to
the draft convention over a month ago in October 2013 and circulated it to
interested stakeholders.

We appreciate the multistakeholder efforts in preparing this convention and
look forward to work with everyone in this worthy course.

Link to our comments:

1.
http://dotafrica.blogspot.com/2013/10/dotconnectafrica-comments-to-draft.html

2.
http://www.dotconnectafrica.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/DotConnectAfrica-Comments-to-the-Draft-African-Union-Convention-on-the-Establishment-of-A-Credible-Legal-Framework-For-Cyber-Security-In-Africa-October-2013.pdf

*Article II – 2:*
With respect to personal data, state prerogatives must be well defined so
as not to breach the rights of a private life online or offline.

 All activities that arise from the gathering, processing, transmission,
storage and use of personal data should be well defined and levels of
acceptable access and permissions by individual users properly laid out so
as not to create a door for perceived surveillance or activities that take
away the personal right of a user

*Article II-6, II-7, 11-8, II-11, II-12, II-13 refer to a Protection
Authority*

Comment 12: These articles define the membership and the constituting
mandates of the said ‘Protection authority’ however it should be left to
the countries to define the authorities under inbuilt country
contributions/laws or bylaws so as not to create a different center of
power or parallel agency.

Also the selection of the membership to the protection authority should
allow composition from all stakeholders and not only government. ‘Sworn
Agents’ should be well defined and described, their mode of selection,
duties, responsibilities should be open to public accountability and
transparency.

Regards
DotConnectAfrica Trust.