[kictanet] Community frequencies

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 27 08:55:52 EAT 2013

Hi Listers,

I recently met a group of Russian developers who have a GSM base station that sells at a tenth of the mainstream ones as it is based on open source technology.

The product could have a massive impact on many of Kenya's far-flung communities as it would allow them to set up community based communication networks especially where the ARPU is too low for the commercial operators to venture.

For this to work we need to provide a license free GSM frequency such as the 2.5 ghz that is used for data networks, do you know if there is such a provision in the CCK regulations?

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor