[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Day 2: On-line debate on African Union Convention on Cyber Security (AUCC)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 27 00:11:10 EAT 2013

Thank you Ali, Barrack, Wangari and Kivuva for your contributions on today's discussion.
@ Ali, I agree with you
that sometimes legislation is not an answer to everything. In regard to spam, your suggestions of “blocking it,
unsubscribing and in some rare cases actually requesting to be removed from the
offending list” are noted. And true, there is need to have an enabling
environment that guarantees citizens freedom and security, and a setting where businesses can thrive.

Great point @Barrack about the need to start
considering striking a balance between freedom and responsibility online.

@ Wangari, maybe the techies on the list can answer
your question on whether in continuing to innovate, they end up exposing users
to weaker systems.

@ Kivuva, good question that on what exactly is "unsolicited
communication" that is not "Direct Marketing." And yes,
article 1-27 needs clarification. Hopefully our legal minds@ Victor Kapiyo, @
Grace Bomu and @ Michael Murungi can help us understand what is intended by this article.
Let us keep the debate live.
Listers, please feel free to go back to day one or two contribute to the debate.
RgdsGG